Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Happy Birthday to me!


On Monday I turned 30!! I can't believe it. I still feel like I'm just a kid playing grownup. I'm not old enough to be married, have a two year old, or be 30. However, I'm not really too stressed out about the age thing. More than anything, this year I'm feeling really grateful. I'm grateful for my family, friends and wonderful life.

I had a fabulous birthday. The Friday night we went up to my parents' house and celebrated with them. We had my favorite dinner, homemade pizza and my mom made this fabulous, diet busting, six layer chocolate cake with chocolate cream filling. Doesn't it look yummy?!
We played games, my mom told the story of my birth (as she does every year), and we roasted marshmallows over fire in the backyard. We wrapped the evening up around 10:00pm and were headed to leave but could not find our keys. We spent an hour looking for them but with no luck. We finally took a flashlight outside to look around the car. We didn't find our keys but we did notice that our tire was completely flat. To make a long story short, we did eventually find the keys, Allstate Motorclub changed the tire, and we spent the night.

As a side note, I have a cautionary tale about Grandpas doing bedtime. So it was about 11 when we decided that we would be spending the night with my folks and that we needed to put Hannah to bed. My father offered to put her down so I brought in her blanket, gave her a kiss and left her with grandpa. Well, around 12:30 we were headed to bed and looked in on Hannah and found her like this....

Yes, grandpa had left the tv on and just assumed she would fall asleep which of course she didn't.
Here was the result the next day...

(I should give my dad a break because he has put Hannah to bed a lot and does a really good job. He tells the best stories of anyone I know!)

On Monday, my birthday started out great with a happy birthday call from my in-laws. In the evening , Brian surprised me with a birthday party at the park. It was my first surprise party ever and the first birthday I have spent with friends in a number of years (thanks to everyone who helped Brian pull it off). We had a great time just eating and chatting while the kiddies played.

To top it all off, Brian got me Coldplay tickets for the next evening (more on that later). All in all, one of the best birthdays ever.

7 comments:

Laura C. said...

Sounds like so much fun! Poor Hannah must have been totally wiped. I want to hear all about the Coldplay concert - nice work Brian!

Bryce and Amy said...

Wish I was there. Glad you had such a great birthday.

Amanda said...

Happy birtdhay!!! Looks like a fun b-day!

Olesia said...

Happy Birthday. What a fun way to spend your 30th! I hope Chris does something nice like that:) Hannah looks so cute!!!!

Mom/Cindy said...

Wahoo!!!!! What a great birthday! And that cake of your Moms. Wow!!!
I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day. Love ya, Cindy

P.S. Sorry, but what's Coldplay?????
I know I'm a little out of it!

Grampa Doug said...

That was quite a celebration and the cake is amazing. Thanks for sharing all the events. I am glad that you held your hair away from the candles.
Grampadoug

Cheralyn said...

Happy birthday! You guys know how to party! The cake looks fabulous!!